The Citroën Berlingo 2CV Fourgonnette relies on the Berlingo, first launched in 1996, and now in its third technology, with diesel, gasoline, and all-electric variants. Because of the Italian coachbuilder Caselani, consumers can now additionally order a 2CV-inspired model of it, which is both fatally tacky or considerably impressed, relying in your persuasion.
For me, I don’t suppose that is tacky nor terribly impressed and extra only a factor that I’m pleased exists on the earth — or a minimum of will exist when orders begin subsequent month and manufacturing begins in January. The factor about retro kits like that is that you just get a automotive that appears previous however with not one of the issues that normally would entail with an previous automotive, which is that the whole lot is unsafe and damaged. The Berlingo 2CV Fourgonnette makes an attempt to be the perfect of each worlds — fashionable issues beneath however with a pores and skin impressed by a automotive first made in 1951, the original 2CV Fourgonnette. Or, you could possibly say that it seems like hard-shell baggage.
You can not say that Caselani didn’t put some thought into it. I current to you the next, very intensive listing of modifications, via Citroën:
- Berlingo’s entrance finish panel has been fully overhauled, revealing the options that have been so attribute of the previous 2CV from days passed by. The grille, bumper and wheel arches have been changed by new fibreglass elements tailored to the body, which integrates clips and bolts for attaching them. All of those elements are assembled at Caselani’s workshops in Lombardy, Northern Italy.
- The V-shaped domed bonnet narrows in the direction of the decrease part – it “pinches”, to make use of the designer’s personal jargon – similar to earlier than. The well-known embossed striated coat sit within the centre of the front-end panel, extending over virtually the entire of it.
- The spherical headlights are partly indifferent from the bonnet, becoming into it as they prolong again – in contrast to the unique ones which have been fully offset. A extra fashionable interpretation with elements which slot in with the remainder of the car.
- The low-relief grooves on the high of the wheel arches featured on the previous 2CV and have been used to ventilate the engine.
- With its concave-cut higher part (or M-shaped, flared in the direction of the highest), the grille is enticing and distinctly Citroën, emblematic of the 2CV AU. The big chrome-plated chevrons – the model’s signature – are highlighted, positioned proper within the centre of the grille and overlaid on it, additional emphasising them. All of those elements are what has formed the van’s id, connecting it to Citroën’s historical past and fame. The imposing grille is extremely arched, built-in into the entrance finish, and forming one with the bonnet as on the time. It extends downwards from the bonnet, giving one the impression that the wheel arches are floating – becoming into this key element. The road above the fog lamps, which stretches over the car’s full width, additional amplifies this impact. It provides stability to the entrance face and widens it, reinforcing its sturdy character.
- Visually, the entrance bumper is decrease than on Berlingo. Whereas the 2CV’s bumper was chrome-plated, this one is painted white, contrasting with the physique. This emphasises the protecting nature of the element, whereas on the identical time investing it with a sure modernity.
- The perimeters, rear doorways and roof have all been given a second pores and skin, topping off Berlingo’s bodywork. These fibreglass elements all pay homage to the 2CV’s extremely distinctive corrugated sheeting. However on this car, they’re purely ornamental. Initially, they’d an precise function – they have been what gave the entire construction its rigidity. These striated elements and the reworked – raised – roof – are a deliberate try and create a method whereby the car’s passenger compartment part is separated from its cargo part. This was already a function of the previous van.
- On the rear of the car, a small vertical window that’s rounded on the high and backside options on every of Berlingo’s rear doorways – an extra tribute to the 2CV. For a extra fashionable really feel, the very thick black seal across the home windows has been eliminated. As for the car’s cease and reversing lights, their completely spherical form is dropped at the eye by their sheer dimension. They’re surrounded by crimson trim, making them much more seen and giving them a extra modern really feel.
- Varied key places on the car are chrome-plated – one other nod to the main points that the 2CV sported. This is applicable to the headlights, the bonnet’s central ridge, the grille with its chevrons and contour trim, the unique hubcaps (that are nonetheless manufactured so far) and the chrome-plated handles on the headlights which have been used to open them (for changing the bulbs). Solely the deal with for opening the bonnet has not been included on this new model.
Citroën didn’t say how a lot the van prices, although will probably be extremely configurable with the aforementioned number of energy sources, and it’ll additionally are available three completely different varieties, from a panel van just like the one you see above to a real passenger van, meant for the French countryside.
G/O Media might get a fee
This new Berlingo can be a reminder that we may use extra officially-licensed coachbuilds of well-liked vehicles, not fewer. They by no means appear to make anybody indignant, for one purpose or one other, in any case, presumably as a result of the stakes are fairly low. Additionally who may presumably be indignant a few retro-styled Berlingo?