Do you dream about long and healthy nails? Well, who doesn’t? However, getting a fancy manicure is not the only solution to this problem. You might not be aware that nails can easily get damaged due to harmful materials used in acrylic application or because of the bad habits, including living on cocktails and caffeine and frequently biting the cuticles.
In addition, such bad habits can lead to visible ridges, dents, or areas of unusual color or shape. These are undesirable nail conditions that can be avoided with the help of practicing good hygiene. Following a regular nail care regime can result in clean and healthy glowing nails. Here are the five best effective tips that you require to know while taking care of your nails.
Keep Nails Trimmed
Even if your nails grow slowly, consistent trims are the key to keeping them in their ideal condition and lowering the possibility of snags and breakage. Ensure to cut them every two weeks while adjusting the frequency as required once you realize how your nails respond.
It’s recommended to invest in the best nail art kit that holds sharp manicure scissors and fine files to flatten out the edges of your nails.
Your nail art kit must include:
- Select the best hand and foot cream per your personal preference; as such creams moisturize the foot and hands heel calluses, relieve skin rashes, and help maintain the best possible condition of your hands and foot.
- Cuticle pusher and remover helps to push the cuticle back. These are available in different forms, including metal, plastic, or made of wood. Ensure to choose the wooden one as its easy-to-use tool and offers a beveled edge that contours the nail.
- Nail file and nail clipper to gently even out the edges of the nail.
- Mini nail brush and some nail remover pads to gently get rid of the nail polish.
Eat a Healthy Balanced Diet
Eating a well-balanced diet can help to accelerate nail growth over the normal rate of about 3 millimeters per month. In fact, experts suggest including Biotin in the diet as Biotin is a B-complex vitamin, also known as vitamin B7, coenzyme R, and vitamin H. Such vitamin promotes healthy cell growth and aids in the metabolism of protein-building amino acids that are essential for nail growth.
Following are the best foods that promote the overall health of nails:
- Cysteine is a non-essential amino acid required for making protein and acts as the main protein in nails, skin, and hair; and tends to be found in chicken, turkey, yogurt, and legumes.
- Folate contributes to red blood cell formation and the development of new cells, which is responsible for changing pigment in your nails and is usually loaded in spinach, asparagus, romaine lettuce, avocado, green peas
- Vitamin A supposed to hydrate and regenerate growth in thin and brittle nails and smooth out inconsistencies and is found in sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, mangoes
Keep Your Hands Clean
Consider washing your hands often is the first step of taking good care of your nails. However, it’s ideal to opt for a mild cleanser that gently cleans your hands and feet while protecting dirt and bacteria that gather under your fingernails.
In addition, you can also try scrubbing your nails and skin with the help of a toothbrush or with an oil fashioned nail brush, as it helps to remove the dead skin cells that you might hold. Remember not to roughly scrub your nails as our nails are soft and quickly lead to infection.
Read the Label of Polish
Same as makeup and skincare, not all nail polish brands use natural ingredients, so ensure while buying one for yourself. Experts recommend not to choose a nail polish that holds harmful chemicals like dibutyl phthalate, formaldehyde, and toluene, as such chemicals can result in brittleness, splitting and cracking.
Also, keep your hands and cuticles hydrated, especially when they are in a weak state. Ensure to use a good moisturizer and drink lots of water.
Wear Gloves While Doing Dishes
It’s ideal for wearing gloves while cleaning with a harsh chemical, gardening, or indulging in those activities that involve soaking or dirtying your hands; it’s vital to put on rubber, vinyl, nitrile, or plastic gloves. Cleaning the dishes in soapy water can weaken and breakage the nails.
It’s advisable to invest in a pack of cold-weather clothing that your hands can wear in winters so that the cold air and wind don’t leave you with dry, flaky, scaly skin.
It’s easy to overlook the health of your nails, however trimming down your nails, eating a portion of healthy food, and protecting your skin from dirt all contribute to healthy, long nails.
Before applying any polish to your nails, read its label carefully, as it might contain some toxic ingredients that can damage your nails. In addition, opt for suitable quality gloves to save your hands from soapy water, which can result in dry, flaky nails.
Lastly, if you have tried everything, are still not getting promising results, and are dealing with brittle nails and breakage, ensure to consult a dermatologist.
Read Also: 5 Effective Self-Care Tips To Follow In 2022