Editor’s be aware: This put up has been up to date with new data.
Marriott Bonvoy Good American Specific Card overview
The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card is Marriott’s most premium card providing. Standout advantages embody automated Platinum Elite standing, an annual free evening at lodges taking part within the Marriott Bonvoy program that’s value as much as 85,000 factors and as much as $25 in assertion credit every calendar month while you use your card at eligible eating places worldwide, all alongside a profitable limited-time welcome provide. Card Score*: ⭐⭐⭐½
*Card Score is predicated on the opinion of TPG’s editors and isn’t influenced by the cardboard issuer.
Marriott has six cobranded cards accessible to new cardholders, with charges starting from none to $650 per 12 months. The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card is the most costly one, at $650 a 12 months (up from $450, and takes impact for present cardmembers whose renewal dates are Jan. 1, 2023 or after; see rates and fees). However does that essentially imply it’s the most effective?
Join our every day e-newsletter
The cardboard underwent some massive adjustments on Sep. 22, 2022, so you’ll want to take a look at our guide explaining the good and the bad.
The cardboard at the moment has a welcome provide of 150,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus factors after you employ your new card to make $5,000 in eligible purchases inside the first three months of card membership. This provide ends on Jan. 11, 2023.
The Bonvoy Good card is compelling for loyal Marriott company — however let’s dig a bit of deeper to see if it’s best for you.
Who is that this card for?
As a cobranded resort bank card, the Marriott Bonvoy Good is geared towards Bonvoy members who need to complement their potential loyalty rewards factors from stays and get particular perks when visiting Marriott properties.
However you don’t have to be a street warrior to get worth from the cardboard — one to 2 Marriott stays per 12 months are sufficient to maximise the cardboard’s advantages and might greater than offset its $650 annual payment. Plus, rare Marriott company can get large worth from Marriott Bonvoy factors, because of this system’s wide variety of airline transfer partners.
Welcome bonus: $1,260 in worth
The Marriott Bonvoy Good is at the moment providing 150,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus factors after you employ your new card to make $5,000 in eligible purchases inside the first three months of card membership. This provide ends on Jan. 11, 2023.
Primarily based on TPG’s Marriott points value of 0.84 cents every, these 150,000 factors are value $1,260.
Simply do not forget that Amex has restrictions that will limit your ability to collect a new-member bonus for those who’ve had comparable Marriott merchandise from Chase or earlier Starwood Most well-liked Visitor playing cards from American Specific. Remember to overview the cardboard’s provide particulars web page to make sure you’re eligible.
Important advantages and perks
The place the cardboard shines essentially the most is within the perks it gives:
- Marriott elite standing: Main cardholders (licensed customers aren’t included) obtain complimentary, automatic Marriott Platinum Elite status, together with perks like upgrades to suites, free breakfast and lounge entry.
- Annual free-night award: Annually after your card renewal month, you’ll obtain a free-night award value as much as 85,000 factors (beforehand 50,000 factors). That’s way more precious than the free-night certificates that include the lower-tier Marriott playing cards, that are capped at 35,000 points. Among the greatest makes use of of the certificates embody five-star lodges similar to The Ritz-Carlton Macau and The St. Regis Langkawi, the place rooms routinely high $500 per evening — although Marriott’s dynamic pricing might influence the flexibility to e-book a few of these properties.
- $300 in restaurant credit: Cardmembers obtain as much as $25 in assertion credit every calendar month once they use their card at eligible eating places worldwide. This equates to a complete worth of $300 annually. (A spokesperson for American Specific has confirmed that this credit score applies to worldwide eating places, is mechanically utilized and doesn’t require registration previous to utilizing this profit.)
- Property credit score of as much as $100: Whenever you e-book a paid keep of at the least two nights at taking part Ritz-Carlton or St. Regis properties with the particular “$100 property credit, Luxury Credit Card Rate,” you’ll obtain a credit score of as much as $100 for incidentals.
- Precedence Move Lounge entry: As is fairly commonplace amongst premium travel rewards cards, the cardboard comes with a Priority Pass Select membership, which supplies you and two company limitless entry to greater than 1,200 airport lounges worldwide. Extra company are charged $32 per lounge go to (enrollment required).
- Journey protections: This card gives trip cancellation and interruption insurance* in addition to trip delay insurance* for journeys delayed by greater than six hours as a result of a lined purpose. You should e-book a round-trip ticket and pay solely together with your card to be lined. (Underwritten by New Hampshire Insurance coverage Firm, an AIG Firm.)
- Utility payment credit score for International Entry or TSA PreCheck: Like many different premium playing cards, the Bonvoy Good will reimburse you while you cost the applying payment for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck to the cardboard (as much as $100). Not like the Precedence Move membership, which basically turns into ineffective for those who already obtain the profit by different playing cards, if you have already got International Entry or PreCheck, you should use this credit score to cowl a pal or member of the family’s software payment (enrollment required for choose advantages). This profit is offered to cardholders as soon as each 4 years. Bear in mind, Global Entry consists of PreCheck, so it’s usually the smarter alternative.
- Purchasing protections: Purchases made with the cardboard can stand up to at least one 12 months of extended warranty coverage* and 90 days of purchase protection.* This is applicable to warranties of 5 years or much less on lined purchases within the U.S. or its territories or possessions. (Underwritten by Amex Assurance Firm.)
- Elite evening credit: Cardholders will obtain 25 elite qualifying evening credit per 12 months (up from 15 beforehand). This profit can be stacked with the nights you earn with a Marriott small-business card, permitting you to fast-track as much as 40 elite nights per 12 months.
- Annual Earned Selection Award: Earned every calendar 12 months (beginning January 2023) after making $60,000 in purchases. That is separate from the Selection Advantages you’d unlock by reaching 50 and 75 elite-qualifying nights. You may select from the next:
- 5 Suite Night time Awards.
- An 85,000-point free evening reward.
- $750 off a mattress or field spring from Marriott Bonvoy Boutiques.
*Eligibility and profit stage varies by card. Phrases, circumstances and limitations apply. Please go to americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for extra particulars.
How you can earn factors
The Bonvoy Good’s incomes construction is much like that of the common Marriott Bonvoy Amex and the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card, however with two further bonus classes: eating at U.S. eating places and choose airfare purchases.
Cardholders earn 6 Bonvoy factors per greenback spent on eligible purchases at lodges taking part within the Marriott Bonvoy program, 3 factors per greenback at U.S. eating places and on flights booked straight with airways, and a couple of factors per greenback on different purchases.
The non-Marriott incomes charges are a bit low, so that you’ll in all probability need to pair the cardboard with a number of different playing cards that provide superior bonus classes, similar to The Platinum Card® from American Express for airfare and the Chase Sapphire Reserve for eating and different journey purchases. There are additionally some other great options for your everyday spending.
How you can redeem factors
There are numerous profitable methods to make use of Marriott Rewards factors. The primary and most obvious redemption is free of charge stays. With the flexibility to e-book at greater than 7,500 properties throughout 30 manufacturers in over 130 nations, you’ve received quite a lot of selections. The Marriott portfolio has many incredible lodges, together with a number of the world’s most over-the-top, luxurious properties.
These embody a lot of Ritz-Carlton and St. Regis properties, a few of that are all-suite, such because the St. Regis Maldives, and others in dreamy locations just like the Al Maha Resort within the desert exterior Dubai. Rooms at top-tier properties like these usually price 100,000 factors (or much more) per evening. Which will appear to be a hefty value in factors, nevertheless it isn’t that unhealthy, contemplating room charges might be $1,500-plus per evening many of the 12 months.
A reminder that Marriott ditched its award chart in favor of a dynamic pricing scheme again in March 2022, although it did decide to maintain 97% of lodges inside their earlier off-peak to peak pricing bands by the top of 2022. Hold this in thoughts while you’re trying to find properties, particularly in the case of utilizing the 85,000-point certificates.
Happily, Marriott means that you can book awards in advance even if you don’t have all the points you need, so for those who’ve received your eye on the right redemption, you may e-book instantly and earn the factors you want within 60 days of booking or up till 14 days earlier than your arrival (whichever comes first).
Simply be aware that these Factors Advance reservations solely verify the provision; the precise price might fluctuate up till you redeem the factors to finalize the keep.
However you may get greater than free resort nights with these factors. Not like Hilton and Hyatt factors, there’s the potential for some nice worth when turning Marriott points into airline miles. Marriott factors might be transferred to a whopping 40-plus frequent flyer applications. All however three companions have a reasonably stable 3:1 point-to-mile switch ratio and also you’ll additionally take pleasure in a 5,000-mile bonus for each 60,000 factors transferred — dropping the efficient switch price to an even-better 2.4:1.
Which playing cards compete with the Marriott Bonvoy Good?
The Bonvoy Good Amex is Marriott’s solely premium cobranded bank card accessible to new candidates, so there’s no card that straight competes or conflicts with it. Nonetheless, for those who’re not loyal to the resort chain, you may take into account one other premium resort card, such because the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card. It carries a $450 annual payment (see rates and fees) and gives lots of the identical advantages, together with automated elite status, automated assertion credit and an annual award evening. That card additionally offers higher returns on bonus class spend.
The knowledge for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Factors Man. The cardboard particulars on this web page haven’t been reviewed or offered by the cardboard issuer.
Associated: The best hotel credit cards
A extra direct competitor of the Bonvoy Good is The Platinum Card® from American Express. The cardboard gives the overlapping advantage of Precedence Move lounge entry and it’s a 1:1 switch associate of Marriott Bonvoy (enrollment required for choose advantages).
Nonetheless, that card prices a bit of bit extra a 12 months with its $695 annual payment (see rates and fees). The Platinum card would not provide the chance to earn Bonvoy Platinum standing (solely Gold), include a free-night certificates or embody the $25 month-to-month restaurant credit score. Provided that the Bonvoy Good basically prices $350 a 12 months after factoring within the restaurant credit score, it’s simpler to make a case for carrying each playing cards to get the annual free-night certificates, higher return on resort purchases and shortcut to the next standing stage — together with having fun with all the perks of the Marriott Bonvoy program.
In case you’re a Marriott loyalist in want of a cobranded bank card or want to change from a distinct Marriott card, the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant is a perfect alternative.
Its incomes charges are usually not as profitable as these of a few of its rivals, however the giant welcome provide coupled with spectacular built-in perks — like $300 in restaurant credit and an annual free-night certificates of as much as 85,000 factors — make it simple for even an rare traveler to get large worth out of the cardboard.
Though you shouldn’t have bother discovering a resort at which to redeem factors, this system’s many airline switch companions additionally make it a terrific alternative for racking up factors to redeem free of charge flights.
For charges and charges of the Marriott Bonvoy Good Amex, click on here.
For charges and charges of the Hilton Aspire Card, click on here.
For charges and charges of the Amex Platinum Card, click on here.
Extra reporting by Ryan Wilcox.